SMARTDOT is a self-timing label for the food service, manufacturing and retail industry. Powered by colour changing pigments, the SMARTDOT can replace existing labelling systems with additional functionality, which will lead to improved safety, improved freshness, aid with stock rotation and reduce food waste.
The SMARTDOTS can be calibrated to time out over 2, 3, 5 and 7 days based on customer needs and requirements and are sensitive to both time and temperature. The labels are currently calibrated at 3°C but can be calibrated at other temperatures if necessary.
The centre dot will now change from yellow to purple over 3 days in a fridge.
How it works
• The labels incorporate patented colour changing films and are calibrated to change colour over a pre set number of days. The labels are both time and temperature sensitive and will change colour faster if the product is stored at temperatures above the recommended guidelines.
• The labels are sold in flow wrapped bags that are pre-flushed with CO2. The labels are activated and start to change colour, when removed from their outer packaging or CO2
• The labels are both time and temperature sensitive. This means that if the product is stored above its recommended temperature, the label will change colour quicker than it would
have done at the recommended refrigerated temperatures.
• The label has been designed to work at 5-8°C, if labels are changing colour at different speeds your refrigeration units should be checked and serviced.
• Labels activate when they are removed from their outer packaging NOT when they are applied. Any unused labels should be stored in a freezer.
• Labels are available in packs of 12, 24, 36, 48 etc or rolls of 500.
Design of label: The design can be tailored to the requirements and preferences of customers. Please note that the reference colours are yellow to purple and can not be changed.
Application of label: The label is applied by hand / machines
Food Contact Approval:
The polyester barrier film acts as a functional barrier (proven and tested by Smithers Pira). As a result, the labels are in compliance with Regulation (EC) No. 1935/2004 and Regulation (EC) No. 10/2011, allowing use with all classes of foodstuffs for:
(a) up to 30 days at temperatures up to 40°C
(b) all storage times at refrigerated and frozen conditions including heating up to 70°C for up to 2hours or heating up to 100°C for up to 15 minutes.
This product is placed on secondary packaging however, and as a result food contact approval is not required. Regardless of this the PET backing acts as a functional barrier between the film and the packaging.
SmartDot - Point of Use
The SMARTDOTS were originally developed for use on delicatessen counters in a US supermarket. The aim here was to apply labels at point of sale, enabling the consumers to better understand the timeframe in which the product needed to be consumed.
In addition the SMARTDOTS can also be used as a stock rotation and freshness indicator for food products prepared in back of house, as well as joints of meat and blocks of cheese etc within the deli counter environment.
Food Service or kitchen areas:
The current food service system involves the use of daymarks or daydots, or writing dates on labels, indicating either the date that the product was opened on or needs to be used by. These current systems can be confusing and subject to human error, and have no additional functionality. The SMARTDOT labels will replace this system.
There are no special storage or handling requirements for these labels, however, due to the nature of this product we would recommend that they are used within a six month period and are stored in a cool, dry environment and away from direct sunlight.
Label Dimensions and Pack Size
The labels are 25mm x 25mm and are supplied flow wrapped packs in multiples of 12